Pages

Sunday 18 March 2012

Cakes and Cats

I actually made this cake a couple of weekends ago, on the same grey and drizzly day I made the date and walnut slices with maple syrup icing, but I didn't get round to posting about it.  Now I have decided that this is a house and garden blog, however, I can post about cakes with impunity (and a cup of tea, hee hee).



This was an unusual cake.  Alastair had made ice-cream and used four egg yolks, and this cake used up the egg whites.  You had to whisk the egg-whites, then fold in melted butter, sugar, flour and currants.  You were meant to fold in toasted flaked almonds too, but I couldn't be bothered to toast them, so just sprinkled some raw ones on the top of the cake mixture when it went in to bake.  This worked really well as you can see.



Because of the egg-whites, this cake had an unusual, quite foamy texture.  I wasn't as keen as I am on normal cake but, although I say so myself as shouldn't, it was a very good example of its kind.  I think this would work well in the summer with raspberries and white chocolate chips - I've made a note to try it!

Pastry is keeping me company while I blog.



Blogging is enormous fun, I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying it.

2 comments:

  1. Pastry is simply beautiful! And I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying READING your blog. Thank you so very much for the gorgeous letter. I shall reply! So kind of you and so much appreciated. Lots of love and see you soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I'm glad you think Pastry is beautiful, he's my baby! He might let you stroke him when you come for tea, he's a little scaredy-cat but he lets nice people near him xxx

    ReplyDelete